Monday, 2 June 2014
Why You Should Eat Chocolate
I never thought I would be writing a blog post entitled why you should eat or even drink chocolate because to me it is pretty obvious, it is super delicious. However just in case that doesn't convince you then here are some more reasons to entice you to tempt those taste buds.
1. Chocolate may be known for it's ability to add to your weight but a recent study in Australia shows that chocolate and exercise actually go well together. It showed that eating chocolate high in healthy antioxidants reduced the blood pressure-raising effects of exercise on overweight individuals.
2. Canadian scientists carried out a study involving almost 45,000 and found that people eating chocolate were 22% less likely to suffer a stroke than those who didn't. In addition, those who had a stroke but regularly consumed chocolate were 46% less likely to die as a result.
3. Women who ate chocolate daily during their pregnancy reported that they were better able to handle stress than mothers who abstained.
4. Scientists at Harvard Medical School suggest that drinking two cups of hot chocolate a day may help keep the brain healthy and prevent memory decline in older people.
5. Chocolate releases calming endorphins that reduce anxiety, plus it is high in magnesium which lifts moods and reduces water retention; ideal for PMS sufferers.
6. One study found that chocolate quieted coughs almost as well as codeine, thanks to the theobromine it contains.
7. Both South American and European cultures have a history that dates back to the 16th century of treating diarrhea with cocoa. Modern day science has shown they were onto something.
8. Consuming high levels of flavonoids, which is found in chocolate could significantly help protect against type 2 diabetes according to a study published in The Journal of Nutrition.
9. Researchers at Germany's Heinrich Heine University found that after six week, chocolate eaters exposed to ultraviolet light had 15% less skin reddening than those who didn't eat it.
10. And to top it all off there is also evidence that this compound has the ability to sweeten up your love life as well.
Of course I have done no studies to back any of this information up - like I said at the beginning, I think it is super delicious and that is all the evidence I need.